Slugs and snails

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
743gardenerX
Slugs and snails

Post by 743gardenerX » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Almost daily I am finding tiny newly hatched slugs and snails in the lid of my wormery, which I hose down to get rid of them. 

I am thinking of putting this Slug Killer http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1821/A ... _info.html on the top of the top tray of my wormery.  It's made of ferric phosphate and is supposed to not harm worms.

I just want to double-check with you experienced wormery people. 

Would you advise nematodes instead?

Any advice appreciated.

WillyWorm

Re: Slugs and snails

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:06 am

Hi. I think my first choice would be the old fashion beer trap to start with. Also check round your bin and clear away anything that may be providing shelter for the slugs to breed. You could also put some copper tape (from the garden centre) round the base of you bin to stop slugs\snails climbing up.
Sorry I don't know how the slug bait you mention would affect the worms in the small enclosed space of the bin, I understand its won't harm the worms in the open garden.
Good luck
HTH
Willy

wormcity

Re: Slugs and snails

Post by wormcity » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 pm

Ive never heard of this product, if it can kill slugs and snails, i would have thought it could harm the worms as well.

If you do buy it, use it in a controlled experiment 1st

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”