Pleased with progress.

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wurmweiler
Pleased with progress.

Post by wurmweiler » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm

My first wormery arrived here in Germany about three months ago. At first it was located on my balcony but being south facing and at times extremely hot I relocated the wormery to my cellar which has an average temperature of 20 - 22 degrees C in summer.

At first some worms escaped resulting in a few dying. In order to keep them from escaping I kept the light on which kept them indoors. They soon settled in with a little feed once a week which occasionally included a light sprinkle of milled egg shells. A good balance of fresh vegetable waste, shredded newspaper and pieces of cardboard box seemed to keep them content. I also added a handful of soil to boost the number of micro-organisms. I noticed new worms after about two months, some were tiny. The worms seem to multiply contstantly.

I've harvested about 750ml of leachate in three months, given the first tray a good mix by hand twice and recently added the second tray. I can usually detect a slightly musty earthy smell but with a little ventilation this does not bother anyone.

Composted moist soil falls through to the sump where quite a few worms gather too. I've cleaned the sump tray a few times. I've circumvented this by adding a layer of old T shirt inside the first tray which acts as a semi-permeable membrane; keeps the worms and soil in but allows leachate through.

In about a month I expect the first tray to be ready for use as compost.

Thank you to Wormcity Wormery.

wormcity

Re: Pleased with progress.

Post by wormcity » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Welcome :)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”