Time to compost a tray

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
misha11
Time to compost a tray

Post by misha11 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:31 pm

I am sure that I read somewhere that each tray should take 2.5 months before you move onto the next one. Well I am still on the first tray since buying in April. The level hasn't risen despite the fact that the worms are well fed with scraps and have had 8 bins of shredded paper. i have lots of worms and bin smells fine. Should I just assume that all is going well?

WillyWorm

Re: Time to compost a tray

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:27 pm

It seems to be going very well. Time means very little to our worms. Add another tray at anytime, if the bedding is starting to look like soil then is a good time to put another tray on top. The worms will continue to work the first tray until all the food and bedding is consumed. Your worms will not be happy living in the own "castings" (poo) for ever, in fact it is harmful to them. It's important to give them another tray fairly regularly so they can decide when it's time to move out of the first one.
It appears your worms are breeding and the sweet smell indicates you are doing a good job for your workers.
Have fun and enjoy, Willy

misha11

Post by misha11 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Many thanks for your reply. I'll add another tray and let them take it from there!!

I was very enthusiastic about owning a wormery but didn't expect it to be quite so fascinating. Mine have definite likes and dislikes. They can't get enough of some things, broad bean skins not so popular lol.

Thanks again.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:53 pm

I have a lot of broad bean pods from the garden at the moment. I find the worms will eat them if I chop them up but there not a favourite by a long way. Mine are almost jumping out the tray for over ripe strawberries at the moment. Have fun say hi to your worms from me lol

wurmweiler

Post by wurmweiler » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:55 am

Since adding another tray about a week ago there's been, like a mass exodus from the old into the new one. The compost looks dark and crumbly though moist. I plan to mix it with some existing potting compost as a fertility booster. Any thoughts on what proportions/ratios to mix?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:40 pm

All seems to be going well!
The mix for compost depends partly on what you intend to use the compost for. If it's to pot up trees, shrubs or large plants which will remain in the pot a long while I would use a 4 to 1 mix. For a general potting compost about a 10 to 1 mix. Worm castings/compost is good stuff and a little goes a long way. Use less and top dress with more later if you wish.  : :)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”