Before starting set up

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Jonathan
Before starting set up

Post by Jonathan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi and excuse the newbie question.

I've just bought a new Wormcity Wormery (with worms) for my mum for her birthday.
However, the delivery was so prompt (thanks) it has arrived over a week before her birthday.  ;)

My question is how long can I keep the worms in the bag they arrived in? Will they be ok for a few days or is it better to get the wormery set up asap and get them started?

Thanks in advance.  :)

wurmweiler

Re: Before starting set up

Post by wurmweiler » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:30 am

Hi Jonathan,

I do not know the answer to your question but from experience and talking to others, worms are quite amazing at surviving in sub-optimum conditions. I guess that provided they have a degree of moisture and dark to maintain respiration and movement and with a little material to feed on they would be okay for a few days.

Bear in mind that most or all of us who have a start up pack wormery received it within a day or two of dispatch. To keep the worms content it's probably advisable to set them up in new quarters upon their arrival or within a day or so.

I'm sure others have more knowledge and experience about this though.

Hope your mum enjoys the unusual gift.

Grant

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”