Putting bio-degradable corn starch bags into the wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
dominoman
Putting bio-degradable corn starch bags into the wormery

Post by dominoman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:12 pm

We have a small compost bin in the kitchen that we line with biodegradable corn starch bags.  They’re the kind that apparently can go straight onto the compost heap.

Has anyone tried putting these in the wormery?  It would be a lot easier and less messy than emptying the food out of them.

These are the type of bags I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00793IFO4/

WillyWorm

Re: Putting bio-degradable corn starch bags into the wormery

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi, I've never tried it but I can see no reason why you cant put them in. The only thing is 5lt bag of kitchen waste is far to much for a standard worm bin so you may still need to empty stuff from the bag.
I have a caddy into which I put all the kitchen waste, this goes to my outdoor compost heaps but in the caddy I have a yogurt pot into which I put the choice bits for my Wormery.

Good luck

dominoman

Post by dominoman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Really?  I also have a small kitchen caddy next to the sink, and I fill it up every 4 or 5 days.  I was expecting to be able to empty it straight into the wormery each time.

Am I expecting too much.

The intention of the wormery was to save me walking to the end of the garden and putting it on the compost heap (where it all gets messed up by foxes anyway).

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:13 am

Hi, worms can eat UP TO 50% of their own body weight of food each day. Worms do not just consume the kitchen waste we fed them but also the bedding we provide. So in ideal conditions 500gr of worms can eat UP TO 250gr of food. Maybe only half of the actual food they consume will be kitchen waste the rest may be made up of bedding. Worms do not differentiate between bedding and kitchen scraps to them it's all food.
I give my worms approximately 100grs of kitchen wasted for every 500grs of worms, in the bin, per day.
Your worm population will grow quickly and you may find they can process all your kitchen waste but be aware the most common reason for worm bins failing is over feeding.

dominoman

Post by dominoman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 am

OK.  Thanks.  Well I will take it slow to start with and build up once I can see they are getting through it.

It still doesn't sound like a problem though.  My 5 litre caddy, when full, will weigh around 500g.  It is mainly vegetable scraps and the occassional egg shell or tea bag so doesn't weigh much. 

If the worms can get through 250 g in a day, and a part of that is bedding, then putting a 500g bag in there once a week or so sounds about right.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:44 pm

It's all sounding good. I wish you luck.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”