Where is your Wormery? Mine was...but now is...

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wurmweiler
Where is your Wormery? Mine was...but now is...

Post by wurmweiler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:41 am

this is an experiment. i want to discover whether keeping a wormery on a balcony is feasible.

my wormery was on my apartment balcony but now is in my cellar.  i started a wormery because i like to recycle kitchen waste and produce compost for growing vegetables and other plants.

i have a balcony garden with ornamentals, kitchen herbs and vegetables. aside from wall space and flower boxes the floor area is approx. 11 sq m.

WillyWorm

Re: Where is your Wormery? Mine was...but now is...

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:23 pm

In the summer months I keep my worms outside, on a north facing wall beside the house. In winter I move them into a cold green house with a cover of bubble wrap over them. In winter they eat a lot less and reproduction almost stops but they seem fit and well when the weather warms up a bit. 

TIP reduce your feeding in the winter. Keep your worms above freezing point. If your worm bin freezes to the core then your worms will die. Your worms will survive down to freezing point, a light frost is ok. Your worms will move to the warmest part of the bin to avoid the cold. Try to get your bins under cover. Insulate with bubble wrap old blankets any thing you have to hand. Remember you will need to visit then to feed them from time to time so keep this in mind when insulating.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”