Tray Temperature - too warm perhaps?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wurmweiler
Tray Temperature - too warm perhaps?

Post by wurmweiler » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:27 pm

greetings everyone,

my first wormery delivered about three weeks ago started well. i am pleased with it's progress but the weather here in south western germany has been hot the past few days which is causing me some concern.

i think that the hot air temperature (26°C - 30°C) has gradually heated the wormery to nearly the same temperature. because of the heat in the compost medium many of the worms have moved into the draining tray and to the surface where the temperature is cooler for them.

in addition last night we had a thunder storm and in the morning i found that quite a few worms had wriggled out of the wormery onto the floor. i suspect the rapid change in air pressure as a result of the storm caused the worms to react to a possible 'flood' from the expected rain hence there migration to dry ground.

my wormery is on my balcony protected from direct heat and light in a shaded area, it's in the best location i have.

here's my question; is there a simple practical way to lower the temperature of the wormery medium to avoid their migrating out of it as is currently happening? i suspect not, short of temporarily relocating the wormery to our storage cellar below ground which is a few degrees cooler.

any advice or tips would be appreciated.

wurmweiler

Re: Tray Temperature - too warm perhaps?

Post by wurmweiler » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 am

overnight i moved the wormery to the cellar where the temperature is a steady 20C. by the morning almost all the worms had moved back into the tray compost medium. the compost had obviously cooled to a similar temperature.

what i like;
it's portability.
the worms can wriggle up from the draining sump.
Last edited by wurmweiler on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wormcity

Re: Tray Temperature - too warm perhaps?

Post by wormcity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:49 am

Worms are very sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure - hence the movement when a thunderstorm is imminent. 
20 c is a better temperature and they will be happy :)

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”