What did you feed your worms today?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Post Reply
WillyWorm
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:07 am

Just fed the herd with some left over couscous, baked beans and over ripe strawberries. Bon appetit

Willy

WillyWorm
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:30 am

This morning my herd breakfasted on some strange looking multi coloured rice, a poppabom and a piece of nan bread, all of which were left from last nights Indian takeaway. I did not give them any curry I thought it might make the castings too hot. 

Willy

echo69
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 pm

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by echo69 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm

WillyWorm wrote: This morning my herd breakfasted on some strange looking multi coloured rice, a poppabom and a piece of nan bread, all of which were left from last nights Indian takeaway. I did not give them any curry I thought it might make the castings too hot. 

Willy

My herd fed on a couple of ice cubed, following on from a tester which was eaten very quickly, liquidised walnuts, sweet peppers, lettuce, celery and mashed potato, I liquidised a whole batch and saved in four ice cream tubs in the freezer, prepared two lots of the same slurry in an ice cube tray ready to use, in addition I added some dampened shredded cardboard. I did a check of the temperature in the tray and it was 81 deg F/ 27 deg C and a humidity of 80% which considering the out side air temp was well over 84deg F 29deg C. I had one "swimmer" in the sump Rio qualifier? and some small worm casts, one small slug which was dispatched, the slug pellets I had scattered around and underneath the base seems to have deterred others.
Stan(echo69)
This my third attempt to reply
My herd fed on some ice cubes containing blended shelled walnuts, sweet peppers, lettuce, celery, apple, and egg shells this followed a test I did on Sunday and found it had been eaten quickly, I blended enough for four 1 litre ice cream tubs then froze them plus 12 ice cubes for  immediate use, saves having to store fresh food in this hot spell. I did a check of the temperature and humidity and found with an air temp of 85 deg F /30degC the tray was at 81 deg F /27 deg C humidity 80% one small slug in the lid which was dispatched, the scattering of slug pellets around and under the base has deterred others, one "swimmer", Rio qualifier? in the sump and a small amount of worm casts. so was quite pleased with my herd and wormcity.
Stan(ech69)
Last edited by echo69 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillyWorm
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Amongst other things, today I fed my worms, the large stone/pip from a mango. I don't expect them to eat the pip, that would be silly, it would definitely get stuck in their throat, but there is always a lot of mango flesh left on the pip which I hope they will enjoy. 

Willy.

echo69
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 pm

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by echo69 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:23 pm

WillyWorm wrote: Amongst other things, today I fed my worms, the large stone/pip from a mango. I don't expect them to eat the pip, that would be silly, it would definitely get stuck in their throat, but there is always a lot of mango flesh left on the pip which I hope they will enjoy. 

Willy.
You never know it might germinate with the heat off the herd..
Stan(echo69) ;)

WillyWorm
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:03 pm

echo69 wrote:
WillyWorm wrote: Amongst other things, today I fed my worms, the large stone/pip from a mango. I don't expect them to eat the pip, that would be silly, it would definitely get stuck in their throat, but there is always a lot of mango flesh left on the pip which I hope they will enjoy. 

Willy.
You never know it might germinate with the heat off the herd..
Stan(echo69) ;)
I've had that happen, the shoot grow to about 5in long then died. The worms enjoyed the shoot. Lol
Willy

echo69
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 pm

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by echo69 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:08 pm

I fed my herd with some coffee grounds and chopped brussel sprout and lettuce leaves, all thriving well.
Stan(echo69) :)

WillyWorm
Senior Member
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:10 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:46 pm

echo69 wrote: I fed my herd with some coffee grounds and chopped brussel sprout and lettuce leaves, all thriving well.
Stan(echo69) :)
Glad to hear they are doing well Stan. That sounds a near perfect diet for them.


Willy

echo69
Junior Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:18 pm

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by echo69 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:59 pm

I have noticed the rapidly eat the vegi and nut slushi ice cubes..
Stan

Mick2me
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 am

RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by Mick2me » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:15 pm

They love fresh tomato plant. Pinched out side shoots and any cut off leaves.
Soon these were covered and devoured very quickly, They will be in for a real treat
at the end of the season. :D

Post Reply

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”