What did you feed your worms today?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Riley Cusack
Re: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by Riley Cusack » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:46 pm

as misha11 said about apples, used to do the same stuff.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 pm

Today my guys were served half a cottage cheese and beeetroot sandwich plus a couple of boiled potatoes and a little cooked cabbage.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm

I've been on holiday for the past three weeks. I fed the herd, closed the gates and opened the slurry sump before I left. When I returned, yesterday, all was well. (I think the herd were pleased to see me 😆.) I had no kitchen scrapes so I fed them some dried food I always keep it to hand for things like this. My dry mix is made of bread dried in the oven, any out of date cereal or dry good I find (never use salted biscuits or crisps, worms have a very low salt tolerance)  put it all in the food processor and blitz to a powder. Lucky guys
Willy worm

SHolroyd

Post by SHolroyd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi, I set up my wormery 6 days ago, no escapees (that I know of!) and the worms seem to be happy.  I've fed them some of the food supplied as well as a banana peel (chopped) but they seem to be happiest in the handful of garden leaf litter I put in at the weekend.  I know tea bags are ok to compost, but I wondered about herbal teas and peppermint infusion.  Will my new worms like this?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the Worm world. It sounds like your off to a great start. Banana peel is great for worms also tea bags (herbal are fine. I have no experience with using peppermint infusion bags so I guess try a little and see what happens)

Leaf litter is great for your worms. Leaf litter is classed as a 'brown or carbon' and is technically a bedding. Our worms eat their bedding. Leaf litter is a worms natural enironment. All food, like banana and bedding, like shredded cardboard, which we put in our bins needs to be processed by micros and fungus before the worms can use it as food! The leaf litter is full of micros and fungus and is pre worked and being worked when you put it into the bin so there is no delay in the worms getting tucked in. If you have access to leaf litter use it, it is a great resource for your worms. Do try to feed as varied a diet as possible for the health of your worms and the quality of the castings.

Keep up the good work
Willy

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 pm

Rhubarb leaves are going down well with the wormies. I also add a pinch of powdered dry food (oats, rice, pasta) every time I feed because I read somewhere it makes them randy  :-* Maybe that's why there's so many worm eggs!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Good shout Wormy, our little friends love rhubarb leaves but watch out for slugs who also love them. Yea a little dry food is like vigara for our little friends lol.

Have fun baz aka willyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 11, 2016 8:12 am

Wormy, don't put too much rhuburb leaves in your wormery at any one time. It will generate a lot of heat which could damage your worms, a small amount is great.

Baz aka willyworm

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:47 am

At the moment I'm bring home produce from the allotment most days, this has to be prepared for cooking/eating or for preserving/storage. So it's a time of plenty for my herd. Yesterday they had pea and broard bean pods, the stem and leaves of some cauliflowers (all of which I put through the food processor first) plus over ripe/spoilt strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants and a few gooseberries.
At this time of year our freezers are full with homegrown produce and there is no space to freeze surplus worm food for the leaner times to come.

Willy

echo69

Post by echo69 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:32 pm

My herd had, shredded celery,diced sweet peppers, fine copped little gem lettuce topped off with coffee grounds and cross cut cardboard.. all doing fine and thriving even with this unseasonal weather'
Stan(echo69)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”