What did you feed your worms today?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
WillyWorm
RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:33 pm

Merry Christmas. Today I gave my worms their Christmas dinner! For starters they got the "crusty outside" of the baked Camembert, their main course was Brussel sprouts, carrot, green beans, roast potatoes, a little turkey, some stuffing and gravy. For desert it was a mince pie with a dash of cream. To wash it down I added a little drop of beer. In addition I gave them the paper hats from the crackers, the inner cardboard tube from the cracker and even a few of the jokes from the crackers. Their entire meal came from food left on people's plates, there was a lot of it because the wife is not a very good cook lol.

Merry Christmas
Willy

echo69

Post by echo69 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Been a while since I last posted..so a quick up date, my wormery is now on the second stack and flourishing quite well on a diet of shredded brown cardboard,a blended mixture of celery, lettuce, sprout leaves,egg shells and fine ground birdseed and coffee grounds. They have survived the odd frosts we have had and produced about half a gallon of worm tea to date , saved to dilute down in the coming spring for watering my wall planters and hanging baskets.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri May 05, 2017 10:28 pm

Today my worms were given some cooked cabbage, cauliflower, runner beans all of which were left from last nights meal, on top of this I sprinkled used coffee grounds.

It's been awhile since anybody posted to this thread please try and post from time to time that way we can all benefit from new feeding ideas.

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri May 12, 2017 7:37 pm

Today my worms got some banana peel and a bag of sweed which had come from the allottement a year or two ago and had been hiding in the bottom of the freezer ever since.
Willy

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Mine get a mix of whatever's in the freezer bag. Regulars include banana peels, apple cores, celery trimmings, carrot peelings, coffee grounds and tea leaves. Depending on what's happening in the garden, they might get the occasional treat of rhubarb leaves and brassica stems.

PeteF

Post by PeteF » Sun May 14, 2017 9:54 am

This morning my gang were fed .. cauliflower leaf, carrot peelings, spinach leafs, a flower head, coffee grounds, a bit of garden mint, unwanted tomato shoots
peanut shells (ground to a powder) and a sad apple, all minced in my meat grinder.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun May 14, 2017 10:02 am

Sounds like a perfect diet. I've never thought of grinding peanut shells to a powder for my heard, I will do it next time I have some. Thanks for the idea.

Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 pm

I went down to the seashore today to collect seaweed, after the storms, to use on my allotment. On the drive home I began to wonder if I could use it in my worm bin as food for the herd, if I washed it (to remove the salt) and dried it I could keep it for winter use. I’ve seen nothing about feeding seaweed to worms anywhere on web and wondered if anybody else had tried it or knew any reason why I should not try it.

Thanks
Willy

klompie

Post by klompie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:43 am

WillyWorm wrote: Today my worms got some banana peel and a bag of sweed which had come from the allottement a year or two ago and had been hiding in the bottom of the freezer ever since.
Willy
I fed them banana peel, mouldy bread, small amount of left over all veg stirfry, hope the soya sauce in there didn't do terrible things to them but it was a very small amount, carrot and turnip peelings,bits of pear and apple plus cple of handsfull of shredded bills.

LukeTon

Post by LukeTon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:49 am

WillyWorm wrote:
I've fed mine cat food (which was in the cat bowl overnight), banana peel, a apple core, pear core, lettuce leaves, tomato ends, tea bags, ground egg shell and shredded letters from the bank (hope they enjoy those more than I did ? lol)
Please let us know what you have fed your worms so we can all get new ideas.
They'll eat pretty much anything won't they?!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”