What did you feed your worms today?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
WillyWorm
RE: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:57 am

Your right there Luke, there are not many things they won’t tackle. Most things on any “do not feed list” are not there because the worms won’t/can’t eat them but because they may or will cause problems in small worm bins.

All the best
Willy

Dynamo

Re: What did you feed your worms today?

Post by Dynamo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:33 pm

We had Chinese tonight so the worms had a wee bit of curry and rice and chow mein. :)

Jed7

Post by Jed7 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:17 am

10 days in and I’m absolutely desperate to start feeding them. I know it says 2 weeks in the instructions but would just a little ‘proper’ food hurt at this stage?

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 pm

start adding food slowly.
They won't starve they are eating the coir that they were supplied with!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Jed. Welcome to the world of worms!!
I don’t think it will do any harm to start feeding your worms at this stage. Remember only a small amount (maybe a desert spoonful) at a time and don’t feed again until that’s been eaten.
In worm keeping nothing is exact, amounts, times, etc are all for guidance and are not scientific laws/rules. You will see statements like; “your worm population will double every 90 days”,don’t bother counting your worms because population growth depends on many things not just time. Like wise with “worms will eat half their body weight in food every day” again many things influence food consumption. Most of what you see is good guidance but are not rules you must obey.

All the best
Willy

klompie

Post by klompie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 am

I got one of those hand pull little food processors which has been such a bonus in feeding my lot. Just a few pulls of the cord and it shreds even the toughest melon peels easily. It's small, on the drainingboard and on the go constantly, just watch your fingers when rinsing the part with the terribly sharp blades. Oh just non shredded tea leaves with some egg shell powder today I'm afraid as I had so much of it which usually goes in my compost bin.

Steve020cap

Post by Steve020cap » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Farm coming up to 2 weeks old so first meal other than supplied food. Small amounts of chopped black banana peel, apple core and a tea bag. Starting slowly!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi all, some of you may know about this but I have only just found out about it. There is a new app which is trying to link up worm farmers (like us) and composters (which may include many of us)with food waste producers. The app is called ShareWaste. The thing I like about it there is no commitment to take anything you only take what you want when you want it.
Sign up to ShateWaste list what you are prepared to consider taking and that’s it.
I’ve not had any offers yet but it is a new app.

Willy

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks, Willy - I'll take a look at the app, sounds interesting !!!!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:28 pm

I have collected enough Halloween pumpkin to last my worms for a while. The weather here is SW Scotland has turned milder than it was so my herd have started eating again. From past experience I know worms love pumpkins so it will fed them up for winter.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”