worms in sump

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
andyroach
worms in sump

Post by andyroach » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:03 pm

hi ,i purchased the 3 tray wormery last november ,i would like to know if having worms in the sump is alright .it seems the majority of the worms are in the sump area and they seem quite fine with it to be honest,i have only 1 tray in the wormery at the moment infact ive only had 1 in since last november ,i havnt fed a great deal during the winter just putting a few tbags in the corners and a bit of finely chopped lettuce and cucumber ,but just a lately ive been adding a couple of layers of damp newspaper to cover them up and i cant believe how fast the worms have been eating thru the damp newespaper ,i reckon the nearly ate 2 sheets in a week wow, need to know if i need to add another tray on top so they can work there way up ,ive read to add sum stuff from the first tray ,but can i add damp newspaper as well they seem to really love this lol ,any feedback would be great cheers andy

wormcity

Re: worms in sump

Post by wormcity » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Andy

they are fine in the sump as long as the tap is left open so they don't drown.
When you have extra trays in place there won't be as many down there, as there will be extra levels to navigate.

Ronnie

andyroach

Re: worms in sump

Post by andyroach » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:08 pm

thanks pal

greenfingerswannabe

RE: worms in sump

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Sun May 28, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Guys

Had my Wormcity wormery 3 days now. Easy to set up and very keen to learn as a novice. Lined the first tray with black weed control fabric including up the sides about 3 inches. Then added damp newspaper, again up the sides about 2 inches. added coir, small amount of soil and small amount of crushed eggshells, thinking the grit would help them sh*t, put in my critters, added small amount of supplied food and covered with damp shreddings. 1st morning, no escapees, none in the sump, 5 in the lid. 2nd morning, no escapees, 5 in the sump, 5 in the lid. 3rd morning, no escapees, about 12 - 15 in the sump, 5 in the lid. Have been returning those in the sump to the tray. Those in the lid migrate back to the tray of their own accord. My concern is that the numbers in the sump are increasing and, in my naivety with my attempt to make the tray as escape proof as possible, will they be able to find their way back into the tray when they so desire. Should I leave well alone? All responses will be much appreciated, perhaps in a PM in order that I can easily find any answers. I'd hate to think that I've caused the death of any of my critters as my granddaughter has now started to name them!!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun May 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi, welcome to the world of worms. Firstly please relax from what you have said you are doing a great job.
Your worms have gone through a lot in the last few days, just think about it, they have been removed from their enviroment, packed in a bag, bounced about in the post, arrived somewhere they don't know where, then put in a new home with new food and nothing is what they are used too. If that was you would you be able to settle down and relax lol.
It can take your worms a few weeks to settle down after the trauma of the move. Worms in the sump will rarely come to any harm, the sump is stepped to assite your worms return to the first tray proper. If you feel you would like to give them more help then place a washing-up sponge in the sump for them to climb up.
Try to allow your worms space and time to settle in to their new home, don't over fed them they will not eat much for a few weeks. Try not to disturb them too much too often.
The eggshell will help the worms grind their food in their gizzards, like a bird they don't have teeth.
You may want to trim the weed cloth and newspaper back so it just covers the bottom of the tray or it may prevent the next tray sliding down into the bottom tray which is important for the function of your bin.

Well done it sounds like you are doing well. Your grand daughter will need lots of names to keep up with your worms reproduction.

If we can help in any way please just ask.
Willy

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Mon May 29, 2017 9:37 am

WillyWorm wrote: Hi, welcome to the world of worms. Firstly please relax from what you have said you are doing a great job.
Your worms have gone through a lot in the last few days, just think about it, they have been removed from their enviroment, packed in a bag, bounced about in the post, arrived somewhere they don't know where, then put in a new home with new food and nothing is what they are used too. If that was you would you be able to settle down and relax lol.
It can take your worms a few weeks to settle down after the trauma of the move. Worms in the sump will rarely come to any harm, the sump is stepped to assite your worms return to the first tray proper. If you feel you would like to give them more help then place a washing-up sponge in the sump for them to climb up.
Try to allow your worms space and time to settle in to their new home, don't over fed them they will not eat much for a few weeks. Try not to disturb them too much too often.
The eggshell will help the worms grind their food in their gizzards, like a bird they don't have teeth.
You may want to trim the weed cloth and newspaper back so it just covers the bottom of the tray or it may prevent the next tray sliding down into the bottom tray which is important for the function of your bin.

Well done it sounds like you are doing well. Your grand daughter will need lots of names to keep up with your worms reproduction.

If we can help in any way please just ask.
Willy

Hi Willy

Being unfamiliar with online forums I'm not sure if what I'm now doing is responding correctly, but I'll give it a go.
Many thanks for such a prompt and comprehensive reply. Having had no escapees in 3 days, this morning was like Steve McQueen and his famous friends. We had very heavy rain last night and having kept the wormery in the cardboard box it arrived in (supposedly to catch any awol's), looking down the insides of the box, I saw what I thought was my first errant worm. I removed the wormery from the box, which was now sodden, and there, to my horror, was Fred, Bert, Simon, George and several dozen of their colleagues. I eagerly returned them to their tray. I then looked in the sump which had a level of water to about 3/4 of an inch and again, several dozen more, most of whom seemed to be trying to commit suicide in the water. I saved all their lives (not 1 dead one) and returned these and then decided to lift a dustbin kept adjacent to my wormery. Again there were many there, who were still tunnelling with their little home made spades, when I quickly scooped them up to join their mischievous friends. 
What a dose of vermiculture reality!!
Hope not to have a repeat of this situation tomorrow morning. With just one tray at the moment, a very good fitting lid, and with what would seem to be miniscule air gaps, how on earth do so many escape?

My Best Wriggling Regards

Alan

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 29, 2017 10:14 am

Hi Alan, you said you had "heavy rain" last night. One of the things that can make worms "leave home" is the fear of drowning, during a storm you will often find hundreds if not thousands of earth worms wriggleing along the pavement. Even a change in atmospheric pressure can make worms head for the lifeboats. The worms we use in vermicalture, in nature live in the top inch or so of the soil so are at great risk of flooding due to heavy rain. In time they will become less sensitive and stay put longer.
That seems a lot of water in the sump, you may need to cover your bin with a plastic sheet when rain is forecast, I use this with bulldog clips to hold it in place around the top and letting it hang loose unless very windy when I also clip the bottom.
I'm glad you found Bert I remember when I started out I lost Gorden it took a while to get over.
I hope your herd settle soon, and don't worry everybody has problems settling their workers down for a week or two.
Look forward to next up date.
Willy

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Mon May 29, 2017 10:44 am

WillyWorm wrote: Hi Alan, you said you had "heavy rain" last night. One of the things that can make worms "leave home" is the fear of drowning, during a storm you will often find hundreds if not thousands of earth worms wriggleing along the pavement. Even a change in atmospheric pressure can make worms head for the lifeboats. The worms we use in vermicalture, in nature live in the top inch or so of the soil so are at great risk of flooding due to heavy rain. In time they will become less sensitive and stay put longer.
That seems a lot of water in the sump, you may need to cover your bin with a plastic sheet when rain is forecast, I use this with bulldog clips to hold it in place around the top and letting it hang loose unless very windy when I also clip the bottom.
I'm glad you found Bert I remember when I started out I lost Gorden it took a while to get over.
I hope your herd settle soon, and don't worry everybody has problems settling their workers down for a week or two.
Look forward to next up date.
Willy

Willy

Can't seem to reply without including your post. What am I doing wrong?

I've positioned my wormery in the only sheltered part of my garden, which is behind a garden shed. Unfortunately as the sun comes round it hits half of the roof of the wormery for about 2 or 3 hours a day. I'm told this will not be a problem. With the rain last night and, from what you say, too much water in the sump, I will build a shelter from wood, which hopefully, will achieve 2 objectives, less rain and less sun. I'm beginning to think that a dog may have been a better choice: Far less worry. 

I'm more stressed than the worms!!

Alan

WormyMcWormerson

Post by WormyMcWormerson » Mon May 29, 2017 12:03 pm

To reply without quoting previous posts, click New Reply instead of Reply.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 pm

I just use the quick reply box below the last message ?
Alan I tried a dog!!! a)it would not eat the wife's cooking b) howled all night in the worm bin c) dog poo is not good for the garden. No stick to worms it will soon be stress free. lol
Willy
Last edited by WillyWorm on Mon May 29, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”