worms in sump

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
greenfingerswannabe
RE: worms in sump

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Mon May 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Hi Willy

Making my worm's shelter, but it just started raining. Came in for a break.

Still chuckling!! Dog!!

Alan

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Alan, open the tap so any excess water can run off.

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Tue May 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi Willy and all

Well guys now made the little critters their shelter and very pleased they are too!!

More so than her indoors.

Guys, I'm looking for some moral support here. She tells me I could have much better spent the time mowing the lawns and doing some weeding. I told her she must learn to show a little more compassion to my new friends, after all, worms are not just for Christmas, they're for life.
She relented a little and said I could cut the lawns and weed after I've done the housework and ironing. What a little treasure she is.
If I knew how to add a picture, if that's possible, I'd show you my worm shelter; might be of interest to some.

Alan

PS Just 3 escapees last night but I soon rounded them up and returned them to solitary as a punishment.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm sure your worms will be happier now they have a shelter.
Maybe you should ask you granddaurghter to have a chat with you Mrs, maybe she could name some worms after her lol

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Wed May 31, 2017 3:37 pm

The solitary as a deterent seems to have worked!!

No escapees last night. I'll rest easy now. 

Think I'll go and have a beer in the garden while contemplating what tomorrow might bring. 

My granddaughter asks why my worms have a 4 storey detached townhouse while she lives in an apartment!! 

How do you answer that?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 31, 2017 4:12 pm

You can't keep them I solitary for ever if you want them to breed !!!!
The answer for your granddaughter is "when she has 1000 brothers and sisters her mum will buy a town house and a swimming pool."
Glad your worms are settling down now, life should now be stress free.
Keep us updated
Willy

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Wed May 31, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Willy

Gave her your answer and she's really looking forward to the swimming pool, but with just one brother at the moment, she figures she might have a bit of a wait. 

And there's a story!! 

Her brother is just 10 weeks old and was born 12 weeks prem in a bit of an emergency, so it could be said that at the moment he is minus 2 weeks old. He weighed 2lb 2oz so I called him the "kilo kid". All sorts of intensive care at the beginning, but now home and weighing 5lb 4oz and doing very well. Now that was a worry!!

Alan

PS - This story is true with no tongue in cheek.

PPS - I think that's why the solitary worked - they were missing you know what!!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:43 am

Sounds like you and your family are having an exciting time. I hope everything continues to go well. That's another advantage of worms over dogs, you can ignore worms for a month or so and they will be fine.
Willy

PS sorry for the delay in replying but it seem to take an age for messages to arrive with me.

greenfingerswannabe

Post by greenfingerswannabe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Willy

Bought my worms a small plastic hand fork today, the size of a garden hand trowel. Got it in my local Range shop. It's made by Draper, so must be good and cost £1, but can't for the life of me think what good it would be in the garden, being plastic, but I read that worms don't like metal implements, so not wishing to traumatise them, I bought this in case there is the need to turn over their bed from time to time. I've even taken the opportunity to hang it on their shelter, ready for use. 

It's all beginning to look very. very professional!!

Alan

P S - My wife is, at last, beginning to show a little compassion towards my worms. I am in the process of making a sign to put out the front of my house and I was going to signwrite it "Worms 'R' Me", but she insists that I alter it to "Worms 'R' Us".

Can she be trusted or is this a ploy?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am

Sounds like your wife would like her own wormbin for her birthday!!!!

I have a plastic hand fork, minemcame from tescos, and find it very useful, I pull back bedding with it at feeding time, I fluff up the bedding in all the trays from time to time to allow oxygen in plus when I'm harvesting the castings. I also have a small spad the sort kids have for the beach, they are nice and square and get into the corners of the trays when harvesting.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”