3 tray wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
andyroach
3 tray wormery

Post by andyroach » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

hi ,just purchased a 3 tray wormery and its excellent , just a quick question i have followed the instuctions and everything is set up as it shud be , i had a quick shower and thaught i will have alook under the lid just to see what was happening and there was abot 10 worms crawling in the roof of the wormery is this normal ime assuming it is and i take it they will take some time to settle in , i have taken the precaution of putting a bin liner under the wormery incase of escapes all in all well pleased with my purchase ,i have left myself a note to feed them in 14 days time lol regards andy

andyroach

Re: 3 tray wormery

Post by andyroach » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

2nd morning now with my wormery ,the first morning had about 10 worms on the garage floor ,and about 25 in the roof of the wormery,and about 30 in the sump,just wondering i put about a quarter of a kilo in with the worms i got with the wormery,i am thinking there is too many worms in there so i have taken some out ,i have only sprinkled some worm feed on top of the bedding supplied , i havnt actuyally fed them any cut up food yet ,should i feed them sum of my own food beacause i read not to feed them for 2 weeks ,or am i just panicking over nothing ,a reply off any one would be great andy

andyroach

Post by andyroach » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:23 am

sorry to add the second day ,about 6 worms on garage floor ,about 25 in the roof of the wormery and even more in the sump ,just want them to settle grrr ,any help would be great,or am i just worrying over nothing andy

petworms

Post by petworms » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Andy

I found that it took about 2 weeks for my worms to settle in and the 1/2 kilo of worms supplied was about right for the wormery. I fed my worms 7 days after I got them with the worm food as advised in the leaflet. Then a week later started feeding small amounts of mashed up food. Now they are eating quite well and I have had it for 8 weeks now.

With the worms in the sump I tend to leave them - some just seem to like it there and they can get into the tray quite happily. If you have used the coir block and put shredded paper (moist paper) on top and then covered with something like damp cardboard the worms settle down eventually.

I have found that stormy weather makes them wander. So long as they are not getting out they will be fine.

Its great fun. Good luck  They say patience is a virtue but I know its difficult.

I am sure Ronnie will be posting a message to help also.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”