Spanish Wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Ironlung
Spanish Wormery

Post by Ironlung » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi I received my wormery a week last Monday; great to see it arrive in a cardboard box that I can feed to the wormery. I've done everything as instructed, had a few escaped when I left the light off one night and weirdly 4 escapes the other day when the light was on. Hey ho I feel sorry for them though they just shrivel up on the terrace.

Anyway apart from the escapees it's all looking good, just been digging around in there and there does not look to be a lot of coir left at all and stacks of vermiculite. Temps are optimal here 25ish in the daytime and 20ish overnight I wonder if that's why they've eaten so much. I am aware of the dangers of overfeeding at the start but I just dropped a small handful of shredded cabbage in there, I will wait for it to disappear before I put more.

wormcity

Re: Spanish Wormery

Post by wormcity » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 pm

they should be rockin' and rollin' in that heat :)

Ironlung

Post by Ironlung » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:08 pm

On average how many worms do you get in a 500g pack would you say?

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 pm

approx 400 - they are around 1g each (some heavier)

Ironlung

Post by Ironlung » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:40 am

Brilliant thanks, I've only lost about 20 or so, so I have no worries...

petworms

Post by petworms » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 am

Hi

I am sure my worms would love a holiday in Spain - now getting cold here in Devon at nights so I am using old duvets to wrap them up last thing at night.  : :) They seem happy and eating the minced up feed quite happily and getting really rather large.

I have quite a lot of small worms in my 1st worm bin so could these be babies.  :-\  This bin has been up and running now for 6 weeks now, however I know that I have tiger worms in this bin so maybe they are just small tigers.  ???

Good luck with your worms Ironlung

:)

Ironlung

Post by Ironlung » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks Petworms, I'm not sure if I'm getting any babies yet but mine have now settled really well. I've just put in a second tray now, they're eating about 500g of food every other day. To be honest it was a bit early to put the second tray in but I wanted to see them popping up and down, it's really quite pleasing. They get a lot of tea and coffee grinds, egg shells, veg peel, egg cartons and kitchen towel.

I moved most of the bedding up and all the food with some vermiculite, I can't wait to see if they're milling about up there tomorrow. I've been making worm tea with the vermiculite that drops into the sump, everything good so far...

petworms

Post by petworms » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:45 pm

;D

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”