removing compost

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wormcarer
removing compost

Post by wormcarer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,
my wormery has been set up since early summer and the first tray looks to be composted, although the majority of worms are still in that tray some have migrated to the second tray. My question is.... should I wait for all the worms to migrate to second tray or should I move them myself to allow emptying of first tray?

markmyworms

Re: removing compost

Post by markmyworms » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Hello,

When my first tray became nearly composted, I placed my new tray under the old one. The worms have gradually migrated. This has allowed me to harvest the vermicompost a bit at a time. The one disadvantage I have found so far with this approach is that the heavy top tray compacts the bottom tray's material. I have got round this by suspending the top tray with wires [something like old filing cabinet drop bars do the trick] a further two inches above the stacking stops on the sides of the trays. No worms have escaped and any that make it through to the sump [a few] are recycled.

I'm sure this goes against the official line, but I am doing what seems to work for me.

Markmyworms

wormcarer

Post by wormcarer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:03 pm

sounds like a good idea to me,  I will give it a try. Many thanks

Stokkers

Post by Stokkers » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for that tip.  I have just beeb trying to figure this one out myself.

markmyworms

Post by markmyworms » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm

No probs!  8) What are forums for?

mmw

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”