It isnt really working

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wormcity
Re: It isnt really working

Post by wormcity » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Rachel

Don't get disheartened, as what you have done so far is correct.

You are probably right, during the winter months worms don't eat or breed that much, therefore adding too much food at that time can easily cause problems.

The food ends up rotting and becomes smelly and anerobic, so by putting the shaving and egg boxes in has done it the world of good.

I expect your worms have gone up into the top tray to get away from the conditions in the lower one and some have probably gone awol.

the good news is that you still have worms, it won't take long for them to breed, however if you feel that your wormery is progressing too slowly, then please give it a boost with some more worms.

Extra trays are always useful, as they allow the worms to work and eat more on the lower levels.

I hope that has helped

Best of luck
Ronnie

wormcity

Re: It isnt really working

Post by wormcity » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 am

Hi The worms may move down, they might need to be physically taken though !

if you were to buy worms i would put them in the lower tray, make sure that the conditions are favourable in there - or else they will move away again

Wait a few weeks for the waste already present to break down before feeding again, then just small amounts that your worms can handle until - you have enough worms.

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”