Sinking layer

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wormcity
Re: Sinking layer

Post by wormcity » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi
Liquid can take time coming - it all depends on what goes into a wormery. Lots of tomatoes produce more water than potato peelings.

if there is very little food left and tons of space in the bottom tray, carry on filling it up with food, the worms will make their own home in this - before adding the next tray.

If its really compressed, try breaking it up with a garden trowel

ronnie

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:49 pm

yes, that would be better

Ronnie

Ironlung

Post by Ironlung » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi I'm new to all this and I am reading avidly.

I just saw posted above "and is producing no liquid"

I originally thought the liquid produced in the sump was worm tea, now I see it re-defined as leachate.

What's the truth? Is this liquid of little or no value or even potentially dangerous to plants? Do I have to buy a fish tank pump to make worm tea?

I'm at a loss any input gratefully received :)

alan

Post by alan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi Ironlung, the stuff your reading was posted in April 2011. I don't think there's anyone there now to answer our questions.

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:54 am

Hi
I'm here !!

the liquid that is produced is called leachate, worm tea is made by adding the worm compost to water (instructions can be found on google)

There are many reports on the internet that state that 'leachate' is poisonous for your plants, we have been selling wormeries for 7 years and have yet to hear from a customer that the liquid has ever had a detrimental effect on their plants. It has always been the other way round, reports on how good it is.

Always dilute the liquid so it is a week solution

Ronnie

Ironlung

Post by Ironlung » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Yeah I've seen a lot of reports, most say if it smells earthy to use it on flowers etc. I will probably do that and make proper worm tea for my veggies :)

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:55 am

Rule of thumb

If it smells nasty - don't use - if it smells earthy - dillute and go ahead, any concerns do a small section first !!

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”