New wormery and confused

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
wormcity
Re: New wormery and confused

Post by wormcity » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi
Often when it rains worms to congregate up the sides and into the lid, this is natural - its the same with normal garden worms its said that its because the worms don't want to drown. !!

I expect the worms have wandered off - I know that the Original wormery is supposed to be worm escape proof, but unfortunatly as you have found out - its not.

All wormeries are subject to worm wander when first started up, if you aren't aware of this and took preventitive steps, then your worms may have left.
It might be worth taking everything out and looking in the sump as well, some might have gone down there
The worms would not have been too cold, although it has been chilly at nights we aren't quite in winter hibernation yet !

A few questions -
did you put any used compost in to innoculate the wormery ?
How much bedding was there originally with the worms ?

I would suggest buying more worms
available here

http://www.wormcity.co.uk/shop/worms-c-22.html

however stop feeding until new ones arrive.

Ronnie

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:18 am

Hi
If you have it use some old compost -
The main reason is that it contains bacterias / moulds etc - that help the worms 'feel at home' and thus want to stay .

Good luck

Ronnie

wormcity

Post by wormcity » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 pm

no - if there is uneaten food slow down - you dont want a smelly mess - as your worms will leave home again !

ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”