Bees

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Agustin
Bees

Post by Agustin » Tue May 02, 2023 4:10 pm

Hello,
I've had my wormery for 3 years and it's been going really well.
A couple of days ago I opened the lid on the top tray and there were about 15 to 20 bees inside! I don't know what to do...
How do I remove them? Or should I leave them there?
Has this happened to anyone?
Thanks

Lilwriggler

Re: Bees

Post by Lilwriggler » Tue May 02, 2023 6:54 pm

Wow! No idea on that one! Are they a honey bee or wild bee? The wild bees will go through their life cycle within a couple of months so you may have a safe window to move (albeit the larvae are unlikely to survive). Honey bees - call a bee keeper. Of course they could be a hoverfly like myathropa florea (batman hoverfly) which are no issue at all and will soon fly off, they like laying eggs in wet rotting waste and i welcome those to my compost/wormeries.

Agustin

Re: Bees

Post by Agustin » Wed May 03, 2023 9:29 pm

Hello, thanks for the reply!
I had also sent an email to Wormcity to ask about this and they suggested contacting a local beekeeper. I did find a local person through the British Beekeepers Association website and he advised that it is illegal to kill honey bees. After I sent him some pictures, he confirmed they are wasps and I can dispose of them...

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”