Thickness of bedding

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
ginyeung
Thickness of bedding

Post by ginyeung » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:29 pm

I am planning to start a wormery and start to prepare the bedding. Given that it's still cold and the frost is not yet gone, how thick of the bedding is sufficient for the worms to survive? Should I wait and order worms until it's warmer, say Apr or May?

WillyWorm

Re: Thickness of bedding

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:44 pm

Hi not sure if you are starting a stacking wormery or a storage box wormery. If a stacking bin then I would fill the tray to the top. My filling would be approximately 2cm of damp corrugated cardboard with a handful of compost or woodland/forest floor litter, this will provide the microbes and bacteria needed to get your bin working. If you can’t get either of these then a small handful of garden soil will help. At this stage mix it together. Now add more paper or cardboard (this time dry) for insulation. And finally one or two sheet of cardboard cut to cover the surface of the bin (more insulation). If it a storage box set-up use the same materials in the same way, up to about half way up.
Don’t over feed a new bin particularly during the winter.
Like you say it is still very cold so if you can wait a few more weeks it will be safer for your worms. Worms like us prefer the temperature to be around 20c 70f they will survive down to about 5c
If you will be keeping your bin inside it will be easier and safer.
Please let us know how you get on.

Will

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:46 pm

Sorry just read the end of your message. Yes I would wait until April before ordering worms

Willy

ginyeung

Post by ginyeung » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:09 pm

Thank you so much! I will focus on preparing my bin, and wait until Apr to order. Thanks again!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 pm

It’s a good idea to set your bin up asap this allows the microbes and bacteria to colonise (these will be your worms food) the bin and will help avoid the problem of wondering worms during the first few months.
Good luck
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”