Using Spent Compost

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Re: Using Spent Compost

Post by Lilwriggler » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:20 pm

I think therefore the density of my feeding tray is too low. I do start it with shredded paper but the quickly reduces in space and i have been adding cardboard more to cover the food than bulk up. In the last week i have just been adding eggboxes and cardboard tubes as i get them, but i don’t really develop much in the way of castings in that tray for ages, they seem to take that down in the tray below. I guess i’m happy my wormeries are stable, but they are not efficient. I have added spent compost to bulk up lower trays, but should do that more so to the top tray, which i will endeavour to do

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:08 pm

Lilwriggler, If you can add more bedding I think you will find an improvement in the volume and quality of your castings and an increase in the worm population.
Good luck, I really would like to hear how it goes.
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:48 pm

Sourced some spent compost, so have topped up both wormeries. Will be very interesting to see how they develop

Red

Post by Red » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:20 pm

Please let us know how you get on with it. I have also cut up some cardboard (egg box) into small pieces and put it in with todays food. When I next have some corrugated I will cut that up and also start adding it. In regards to food, I have an abundance at this time of year. All the trimmings from home grown veg, apples are starting to appear so I use the bad ones as food, all as well as the usual kitchen write-offs. I have been chopping the food, freezing it and then adding it to the wormery. In the cooler months I let it thaw before adding. I don’t always freeze the food but it does help in kickstarting the degrading process. I find the spent compost helps a lot as it’s easy to dig into and bury the food. Just have to try to remember which corner is next!

Also about once a week I separate all of the trays and keep them in order. I clean out the sump and then add each tray in turn and give each of them a fluff up as they can get quite compacted as there is quite some weight in a full tray.
Red.

VenueArc

Post by VenueArc » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:54 pm

Thank you for this information and I am interested to check these all about

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”