Thinking about getting a wormery - stuff that can be added

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
CristinaV24
Thinking about getting a wormery - stuff that can be added

Post by CristinaV24 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:34 am

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a wormery - we're a small household (3 adults) so thinking about the 75L one.
My question is:
I have a small lizard that is fed with live locusts and mealworms.

The locusts are kept on a thin bed of soft wood shavings (the ones you can buy for guinea pigs and bunnies) and are fed with green leaves - can these wood shavings be added to the wormery?
There will obviously be some locust poop on them, but the qty is very small as the little buggers like to poop in their water gel containers.

The mealworms do produce some waste since they're eating fresh veggies - can this waste be added to the wormery or would it be better to be considered a "final compost" as the one produced by the wormery?

Apologies if this is a bit out of scope, I am trying to collect info and make informed decisions to suit my household conditions best.

Thanks in advance.

WillyWorm

Re: Thinking about getting a wormery - stuff that can be added

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi Christina, welcome to the world of worms. The answer to your questions is yes, yes, yes and yes. The only problem with using any animal poo is if they are carnivores and have a digestive system similar a humans. In our every day life’s that means cats and dog (cats poo is particularly dangerous) poo from herbivores, fish, insects, lizards etc are fine to add to the bin as food or bedding.
It is alway worth having a slightly larger bin than you first thought, once you start you may be surprised at what you can put in, only this week I put in a pair of old socks made of 100% cotton.

Good luck with your new venture, if we can help please ask.

Willy

alexsunny123

Re: Thinking about getting a wormery - stuff that can be added

Post by alexsunny123 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:16 am

WillyWorm wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm
Hi Christina, welcome to the world of worms. The answer to your questions is yes, yes, yes and yes. The only problem with using any animal poo is if they are carnivores and have a digestive system similar a humans. In our every day life’s that means cats and dog (cats poo is particularly dangerous) poo from herbivores, fish, insects, lizards etc are fine to add to the bin as food or bedding.
It is alway worth having a slightly larger bin than you first thought, once you start you may be surprised at what you can put in, only this week I put in a pair of old socks made of 100% cotton.

Good luck with your new venture, if we can help please ask.

Willy
thanks my issue has been fixed.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”