worms all gone!

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
leowoodscott
worms all gone!

Post by leowoodscott » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi Willy
You have been so helpful in giving me advice over the last 2 years since I first got my worms. They have survived two years!
But I went this morning to check on my wormery for the first time in 7-8 days I think and they have all disappeared/died.
Such a shame!! I feel bad!
The eco system all seemed quite good but clearly not.
I wonder whether it was the intense heat we have had. I stupidly didnt really think about the worms during this time.
How best for me to start all over again? Can I just get a fresh set of worms or do I need to clear everything out and start afresh?
Have a lovely summer.
Leo

WillyWorm

Re: worms all gone!

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 am

Sorry to hear your news. Yes I think it will have been the heat. Hot is more of a problem than freezing weather and can kill worms in a couple of hours.
Yes you can buy replacement worms contact Wormcity via the “shop” on the web site, I’m sure Ronny will sort it out for you. If it is still very hot where you are then wait for a cool few days.
Your bin and it’s contents should be fine to receive new residents, just check there is no nasty smells coming from the bin, if there are open it up and fluff it up three or four times a day to get oxygen in, if no smell then remove any food stuff you find and fluff the bin up (just remake the bed) and it will be ready. It is possible that some eggs may have survived and still be viable which would be nice to know you still have some of you original herd still in the bin.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on

Will

AnneB

Post by AnneB » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:39 am

I think the same has happened to me. I have two wormeries- one of my own and I am looking after the school wormery over the summer. I've had my wormery about 2 months and it was doing fine. We were away for a week on holiday and now I don't seem to have any worms in my wormery (but school one is fine).

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi, sorry to hear your news. It only needs your bin to be getting a little more direct sun/heat for it to make the difference between life and death for worms.
Well done with the school bin you must be a good influence on the way it’s set up and fed. Most school bins, I know, get little or no carbon and are always close to an anaerobic wipe out.
I can say little I have not said above apart from fluff up your bin and borrow a few worms from the school bin, you will soon make up your loss.

Please let us know how you get on.
Willy

leowoodscott

Post by leowoodscott » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:34 am

Thank you so much Willy. That sounds quite straightforward. Ill buy some more worms asap!
Leo

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”