Maggots and flys and think my worms are gone...so sad

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lucypooley
Maggots and flys and think my worms are gone...so sad

Post by Lucypooley » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:57 am

Hi I've only recently purchased my wormcity wormery and we've recently been having an issue with worms in this high heat, well after yesterday's heat I went into my worms to check on them this morning and there were loads of little maggots and karate crawling on the leftover food and I can't find any signs of any worms.......so sad....I've done what I read on here and ripped up paper and wet it and put on a thick layer but I think it naybe too late I was wetting my wormery while it was hot but didn't know about the paper till I found this forum. What shall I do? Help please??? Thanks

WillyWorm

Re: Maggots and flys and think my worms are gone...so sad

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:58 pm

Hi sorry to hear your news. The first thing to do is remove and dispose of any food left in the bin. Next fluff up (lift it up and mix it) the bedding, this will allow oxygen in to the bin, now check for worms, if there are no worms then you have a chance of the bin recovering from cocoons (worm eggs)which were laid earlier, if you see a few worms then in time the bin may recover. Add more paper and mix up again. Don’t add water, a wet bin is far more likely to go anaerobic (without oxygen) than a drier bin.
Try to put the bin in a cool shady place and leave it undisturbed for a week or two without feeding. Keeping you bin cool is vital in this hot weather.
If you need to order replacement worms I would leave it till the weather cools to a high of 20c or below.

Please us updated that way we can all learn.

Good luck
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”