Do I add compost to a new layer?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
emarozzi@gmail.com
Do I add compost to a new layer?

Post by emarozzi@gmail.com » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:16 pm

I’m so sorry if this is a really stupid question but I don’t understand about adding new layers. I have been happily feeding my worms in one layer for a few months and I think it’s going ok. When do I know how to add a new layer and do I add compost to that new layer as well or just newspaper and food?

WillyWorm

Re: Do I add compost to a new layer?

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi, there are NO stupid questions. Thanks for asking your question. For a beginner it is difficult to know when to add another tray. After you have got used to it and know what to look for you will notice a different texture between the finished worm casting and the soil and part fished castings in your bin. It’s difficult describe but castings will look granular compare to other compost. You can see samples of castings on the inside of the bin on the walls and lid of the bin.
Aim to add a new tray every two or three months. Even with a new tray in place some worms will remain in the old tray finishing off scraps of food and bedding.

I like to put a handful of the near finished bins compost into the new tray, this helps the worms feel at home, then top up with more bedding and food. Then allow the worms to travel up to the new space.

Hope that helps
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”