2nd tray added but most of worms still in bottom tray

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Jillbo2787
2nd tray added but most of worms still in bottom tray

Post by Jillbo2787 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:10 pm

Advice needed please. I started my wormery just over 12 months ago. I started a 2nd tray back in October but find the majority of worms are still in the bottom tray even though it just seems to be compost. Do I put tray 1 at the top & hope they move down into tray 2 so then I can harvest the compost?

WillyWorm

Re: 2nd tray added but most of worms still in bottom tray

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:17 pm

Hi your first tray should be your bottom tray. All food and feeding should be in the top tray. Sometimes it is difficult to get the herd to move up so you can harvest the casting from the bottom tray.
Here are a few ideas which may help you move them.
Move your first tray to the top and rig up a light 💡 over the top your bin. The worms will move away from the light which means they will move down. You can the harvest the top tray by scraping off the surface of castings about 1cm/1/2 inch at a time, any worms you come across can be move by hand. Another way is you can tip the contents of the bottom tray on to a plastic sheet in bright sunlight, mould it to the shape of a upside down ice cream cone and again scrap a little of the sides every half hour or till you end up with a pile of worms.
Next you could put another tray, if you have one, between the bottom and top tray. Fill this new tray with just damp shredded paper and cardboard this will put space between your worms and their food and hopefully they will come up to the top tray and remain there. Keep the bottom tray as dry as possible will also encourage movement.

Good luck
Willy

Rlo14

Post by Rlo14 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Thanks to the original poster for asking this question... I'm having the same problem at the moment so helpful to read your suggestions Willy. I've just tried reversing the trays as suggested. There were a couple of days where the worms came up to the new tray but they seemed to have headed back down again!

Im trying to avoid adding more newspaper to the full tray below to encourage them to the new food but worried about them not getting enough air if I don't. Is that an issue or will they just move up if they need more oxygen?

Thank you!
Rebecca

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:39 pm

Hi Rio, we have all been trying to deal with extreme temperatures over the past few weeks. This could be the reason the herd are refusing to move. The bottom tray will probably be the coolest and most constant temperature of the trays, the worms may feel safe there.
We all to some extent depend on the fact that worms we stay put if they have everything they need, check there is no food in the bottom tray. In a vertical stacking system it is difficult to dry the lower trays which would encourage the worms to move. You could try wedging one side up to allow airflow to dry it a little.
Try to make your upper trays more inviting than the lower ones. Try to feed drier food to reduce the constant flow of yummy juices running down. If it’s hot try putting a frozen bottle of water in the top tray.
Sorry but I think the answers in an earlier reply are the only real options. Inducing vertical movement can be difficult at the best of time but with the weather being the way it is it’s making it even harder.

Please let us know how you get on
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:59 pm

I have been thinking about my reply of a few minutes ago. I think if you only have two trays the lifting of the top tray by putting a piece of wood for the top tray to be rested on which gives a clear air gap, this will lower the other side down into the casting of the bottom tray, this would help dry a large part of the bottom tray, which will encourage movement. If when you feed the top tray you put the food along the part which is in contact with the lower tray. This should get the worms up, it’s not that dissimilar to the way I harvest my horizontal bins.
Not sure if any body will understand what I’m trying to say, if you don’t let me know and I will try again 😊

Good luck
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”