Potworms or start again

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Poppi
Potworms or start again

Post by Poppi » Tue May 31, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi,

I think I have potworms in my "old" tray and they have now moved up into the new tray.

The bottom tray is quite solid but still with worm activity, I have added shredded paper to the bottom tray so to try make it less "soild and less wet.

However concerned with the volume of these white thread like worms / potworms.

Should I start afresh having "harvested" what composting worms I can find.

Welcome any advice , thanks

WillyWorm

Re: Potworms or start again

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:26 am

Hi Poppi, welcome to the forum.
Pot worms are small, about one inch/2.5cm long and very white. They are very common in worm bins and seem to appear from nowhere and multiply in a blink of an eye. The good news is they are harmless to you and your worms, in fact they are beneficial to the composting process. However their presence in large numbers may indicate that your bins environment is out of balance.
Pot worms prefer wetter conditions than our normal composting worms, so maybe your bin is a little too moist. They also like a lower PH at around 5.5 while our compost worms like the PH around 7. Compost will naturally become acidic (lower PH) as it breaks down be it in a worm bin or a garden compost system.
More good news you don’t need to start again, with a little work you will recover the bin.
Start with the bottom tray fluff up the contents with your hand or a small garden fork. Add dry shredded paper and/or cardboard, this will help dry the contents and raise the PH. Sprinkle over half a tablespoon of powdered eggshell, eggshell contains lime and will raise the PH and mix again. Repeat this with all trays. You may need to repeat the eggshell every week to reduce pot worm numbers,. Do not over do the eggshell be patient and give it time to work.
To help keep pot worms in check always put shredded paper/card under and on top of any food you feed (this will also prevent fruit flys becoming a problem) and add a teaspoon of eggshell about once a week.

Please keep us up dated
Good luck
Willy
Last edited by WillyWorm on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poppi

Post by Poppi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:29 pm

Hi

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

Certainly I will try your suggestions. Also very interested in your tip about egg shells and placing paper under and over food as this is where the potworms are.

Yes the bottom tray is rather solid and wet so here I come with shredded paper and cardboard.

Thanks

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:51 pm

Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.
Willy

Poppi

Post by Poppi » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:47 pm

:)

Thought I would update date you.

I have split the bottom tray into 2 trays, which was rather wet and full of potworms. Added shredded paper and fluffed up the tray also added riped egg boxes and sprinkled with ground eggshells.

Today my worms seem happier, working bewtween all 3 trays now. However I will still need to monitor the trays to make sure they do not compact again :-/

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:58 pm

Great, things are going in the right direction. Egg boxes are good because will hold air in the bin.

Thanks for the update
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”