My newish wormcity

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Calzeat
My newish wormcity

Post by Calzeat » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:36 pm

New to the forum. For many years, I had one of the original wormeries. It was fine but so difficult to empty, so, after spinal surgery, I had to find an alternative. Last year, the family bought me a Worm City - so exciting until we had torrential downpours. It was full of water and many of the worms were washed away. The only solution was to put it in my greenhouse which is not very convenient.
However, it is taking an age for each layer to be ready for emptying and all tiers are absolutely full! The kitchen bin is full, too!
I'm guessing that I am going to have to buy another tier or two. Also, sadly, the first tier to be ready was too heavy for me to lift!
I look forward to hearing any suggetions that will make life easier.

WillyWorm

Re: My newish wormcity

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi Calzeat, welcome to the forum.
All stacking worm bins are prone to flooding in the rain. To allow the air to circulate there is a gap all round between the side of the trays where they fit into each other. Putting the worms in the greenhouse will avoid them getting to wet BUT (always a but when it involves worms) they will get far too hot when the sun comes out. Your worms will die when the temperature of the material in the bin, reaches 40c over heating is more threatening than cold. Could you find a sheltered spot somewhere for the bin and then cover with a plastic sheet. Some people make a wrap a round tube then make a mop hat to sit on top. I locate some of my bins in the greenhouse for winter but get them out the beginning of March so I can get things ready for planting. I bought a cheap plastic storage box to keep my two stacking bins in all year round.
It takes 3 to 5 months from start to finish to convert kitchen scraps to good useable castings, dependent on the bin management and age of the bin. If you have two or three trays then this works in quite well. You can keep putting more stuff in the first tray until it’s looking mostly dark and crumbly, may take two or three months, before putting another tray on top. Allow the lower tray to complete its work for a month or two before harvesting, this will be a good time to put it in the top position and repeat the cycle again.
If you are going to keep your bin outside leave the sump tap open, this will prevent the bin flooding.
Worm bins are not intend to replace garden compost bin, if they are used for garden waste they will soon overflow.

Sorry to hear about you spine problems. All stacking worm bins are very heavy when full. The Wormcity is one of the largest bins out there. You could reduce the weight to some extent by using autumn leaves instead of paper and cardboard which hold more water and compact down tightly. Try to clean the sidewalls between the two trays before trying to separate them. Try to keep your bin as dry as possible, add dry bedding with every feed. Try not to over fill your trays.

Given your back condition a continuous flow throu bin may have helped. You put kitchen scraps and bedding in the top and compost comes out the bottom.

Calzeat

Post by Calzeat » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:40 pm

Many thanks, WillyWorm,
I will be moving the worms out of the greenhouse as soon as I have found or made a waterproof cover. We are in Scotland so it will be a while yet before the greenhouse is too warm! It seems sad to hide the beauty of the wormcity under a raincoat!
I hadn't thought of adding autumn leaves to the wormery. Does it matter if they are wet? I tend to add torn strips of the Sunday newspaper once we are finished with it - but not all at once!
I have 4 tiers and only the top one is not full. I emptied the bottom tier a couple of months ago, onto one of the borders and it was deliciously crumbly!

Kind regards,

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi Cadzeat, sounds like you are having a lot of success with your worm bin.
I also live in Scotland down in the southwest, In March my greenhouse was getting up to 38c so it was time to get the worms out, I did so and the weather changed back to rain and frost over night 😟

You can use wet leaves but they do compact down and will not save any weight for you. Leave them to dry and crush them up is best. If leaves are not readily available you could use straw this is inexpensive in budget shops on the high street and will last a long while if you can chop it up.

I like to walk the dog in the wood foraging for worm bedding and food.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”