Worms are decreasing/dying

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Ja-Mal
Worms are decreasing/dying

Post by Ja-Mal » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 pm

I’ve had my wormery for around 3 years, it’s the bottom layer with tap and the worms in the upper tray. A lot of worms always go down to the bottom tray where the water goes, along with compost (not sure that should drop through).

Over the past few weeks the number of worms have decreased dramatically though there are tiny baby ones in there. I can’t understand what I’m doing differently or wrong though they’re hardly eating anything. I put in small bits of kitchen waste (vegetables, egg shells, a little tea leaves). It looks like I might lose them all as they seem pretty lifeless in comparison to previous.

It seems damp and if dry I add damp cardboard or newspaper torn up small.

I never get worm tea in the lower tray but a very damp, sometimes wet rich compost which is only enough to have been emptied once. I used to move worms that made there way down there back to the food tray but stopped doing that now in case it’s harming or worsening the situation. Any ideas?

WillyWorm

Re: Worms are decreasing/dying

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:51 am

Hi, could you please provide a bit more info.
Are you saying your worm bin is made up of two trays/boxes? Is it diy storage box bin or a purchased stacking bin? Where do you keep your bin, inside or out? Have you only harvested casting once in three years? Are the “baby” worms pure white in colour?

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:23 am

Sorry a few more questions, Have you noticed an increase in the number of worms leaving the bin? Have you noticed any bad smells coming from your bin?

JamieKing

Post by JamieKing » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 am

I don't care about the worms dying. I want to get the best remote video surveillance Houston. Visit the website to know more about security solutions.
https://serenasecurity.com/remote-video-monitoring/

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:03 pm

What a waste of space. Why do they wasted their time, even if I wanted one I would not buy from a spammer.🤬

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”