6ish Weeks in, what do I do now?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Red
Re: 6ish Weeks in, what do I do now?

Post by Red » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:53 am

Thanks Willy. Yes, I have since replaced the pots with some wooden chocks. Yes, I was thinking of adding the next tray as recently I have had quite a few worms in the lid, so I have done so this morning as per your instructions and also added some cardboard into the sump. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:42 pm

Great, looking forward to the next update.
Happy worming 🙃🙃
Willy

Kayit

Post by Kayit » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:28 pm

Thank you for the information, I am also a worm farmer, only 6 months old, I have the 2nd generation.

Red

Post by Red » Tue May 03, 2022 12:51 am

Update on progress and a few more questions: I am still progressing filling my 2nd (top) tray, adding food using the 4 corner method. I was hoping to have been able to harvest some castings to use in planting my tomato plants. However, creating them seems quite slow in the cold temperatures. I am hoping things will start to speed up a bit soon as the temperature increases. The worms seem lively enough when the temp is warm and there are lots of babies hanging around too.

While filling the 2nd tray, my first tray does occasionally drop castings into the sump. I scrape them out from time to time and add them into the 2nd tray. Consequently this, together with further worm action, has reduced the volume of the first tray and means that the 2nd is now almost resting on its plastic shoulders on the first tray (wormcity bin). This is not so much of a problem as I have still 2 more empty trays to eventually bring into play. However, would I be better refilling the first tray using some of the contents from the 2nd to maximise the volume, or just continuing filling my 2nd tray?

So far I have also avoided adding anything with seeds, eg tomatoes, as I didn’t want to have unwanted plants growing in the castings when I eventually use them. However, it will get harder to avoid using them as our kitchen scraps will move to more salad scraps through the summer. Are these seeds in the bin going to be a problem for me or do the worms eventually turn those into castings too?

As always, thanks for any advice. Red.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Tue May 03, 2022 3:18 pm

Hi red, good to hear from you with your update. Sounds like things are going well. We are now though winter and things are warming up.
Things will have seemed slow in your efforts to produce worm castings but bare in mind things are slow in the winter and you were working with an immature set-up. If you bought the start up pack then you were supplied with 50g/1 lb of worms approximately 1,000 worms. The Wormcity bin runs best on approximately 2,000 worms. You will see it’s quoted in books and online that it takes 90 days (3 months) to double your worm population (some people dispute this calculation) so you have done very well with only half of the required work force to go at full speed. The number of baby worms now showing up shows things are going well.
The casting in the sump will be pure casting. Worms have gone down to the sump and while they have taken advantage of the peace and quiet and had a poo. Then you collect this valuable stuff place it in a small bucket to dry-out a little then use a pinch or two around your pot plants.
Regarding seed I don’t mind things like tomato and melon seeds in the bin, they are quick to germinate easy to pull up and make and if left on the top of the bedding make great food for the worms with lots of goodness. Those seeds which do not germinate rot down fairly quickly and make more goodness for the worms. I am very carful to avoid weed seed, things like dandelion can soon become a problem.

Look forward to your next update
Willy

Red

Post by Red » Tue May 03, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Willy. I’ll not worry about the seeds then, doesn’t seem an issue.

I was reading some of your pervious replies to others in the forum in regard to adding spent potting compost. I thought this was a good idea as I have plenty of it. So, this morning, I cleaned out the sump and placed fresh cardboard in there as usual. I then examined my first tray. The contents looked like great castings but were compacted somewhat and thus only about a third of the tray was full. There was plenty of worms still mixed in it. So, as you said in previous threads, I fluffed up the castings to get more air flow in there and then spread some spent compost in a layer over the top. I then placed my 2nd tray (the one I am putting food in) back on top of it. The layer may be perhaps 2 inches but will ultimately squash down over time. So that should give the worms plenty to do for a while. I suppose I will have to cut back on the food for a while whilst they tackle the compost?

Thanks again, Red.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 04, 2022 8:26 am

Hi again red. What you have done with your spent potting compost is effectively rejuvenated them which could make them very useful for adding to your tomato growing mix. In the past I have suggested using them as part of the bedding mix. I think your way will work well.
The compact sticky feel of the first tray may be due to a high moisture level. You could now, if you think the first tray is done, is move the first tray back to the top of your stack on a bright sunny day, fluff again and leave it uncovered. This will dry the contents and encourage the worms to move into the tray below In order to get away from the light. After a day or two of this you will have casting and potting compost mix ready to use and you will also be ready to start a new top tray. Or you can store and mature for use another time.

Willy

Red

Post by Red » Wed May 04, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks Willy. I don’t think I have enough material in the 2nd tray to force the worms into. I was thinking that the worms could work between the layer of spent compost in the top of the first tray and the food/castings etc in the 2nd tray. They can work on this while gradually filling up the 2nd tray and ultimately moving on to the 3rd and 4th. Only harvesting the first tray on completion of the 4th. I know this will take longer than what you suggest but I have already sorted my tomato plants so no rush now for the castings.

Yes, I think you are right about the moisture level in the castings. The spent compost that I added was quite dry so I am hoping this will help balance the moisture level through the bin.

Thanks again, Red.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 am

Hi the suggestion to finish the first tray was based on the fact that I thought you wanted castings soon for your potting on but there is no rush the your idea is good.
Maybe you could add more spent potting compost to your second tray to get things moving. You will be wanting as much castings as you can get in the next month or so.

Willy

Red

Post by Red » Wed May 04, 2022 10:36 am

Yes, good idea. How much do you think I could add to the 2nd tray? Do they breakdown spent compost quickly? Should I mix it with the food or keep it separate? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again, Red.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”