6ish Weeks in, what do I do now?

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
WillyWorm
Re: 6ish Weeks in, what do I do now?

Post by WillyWorm » Wed May 04, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi, I would fill the tray to about an inch/2.5cm from the top. Your worms and microbes will continual to break the potting compost down but because it not like paper and cardboard bedding you will have well rejuvenated potting compost anytime you need if and it should prevent some of the wetness and stickiness in the bin. You can mix the potting compost with the other bedding and feed via the four corners as you have been. Good luck

Willy

Red

Post by Red » Thu May 05, 2022 11:23 am

Great, that sounds good, I have plenty of spent potting compost from last years flower pots. A job for the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Red.

Red

Post by Red » Thu May 26, 2022 9:34 am

Hi Willy. Since my last post I have been feeding in the 2nd tray (4 corner method). Yesterday I decided to top it off with spent compost and start on a 3rd tray by filling it about half full with spent compost and start the 4 corner feeding in there. The 2nd tray still has a little food still to go but my Idea is to try and maximise the herd and be more productive. Is my thinking right here? Thanks Red.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu May 26, 2022 10:24 pm

Seems like a good idea to me. Try to ensure the compost you use is made up of diverse materials or use it like bedding and add some kitchen scrapes with it.
You did say you wanted to make your worms more productive but did not say in what area, making babies, producing casting or size. My reply should produce a general improvement in production in all areas.

Willy

Red

Post by Red » Fri May 27, 2022 7:07 am

Thanks Willy. Yes, I am still adding in food using the 4 corner method so that I don’t over feed. My thinking in maximising the herd is to increase the population of worms in the bin as a whole. I was thinking that with a 4 tray (Worm City) bin, you get to the ideal population once all 4 trays are in the system (always at least 3 with the top one being filled). Also once at the ideal or maximum population they would be turning over more food, creating more castings etc. I don’t know if my thinking is correct. I guess I am trying to get to the ultimate equilibrium for the bin to be most productive in these warm months of the year. Incidentally I didn’t use the upturned tray as a base (put it on bricks instead) so effectively my 4 tray system has 5 trays. Thanks for the advice, Red.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Yea you thinking is good but the population a bin will hold I’d based on the surface area not the cubic capacity. The capacity of a Wormcity bin is approximately 2,250 worms that is based on 1,000 worms per square foot/30cc.
The speed of breeding can be increased by running the bin a little wetter than is normally recommended but this needs to be done with care.

Wiily

Red

Post by Red » Sat May 28, 2022 9:42 pm

Ah, ok. Got it. I’ll keep it going as it is and see how it goes. Thanks Willy.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”