Another newbie wormer

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Sal
Another newbie wormer

Post by Sal » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:08 pm

Good evening fellow wormers,
Last week I had a go at making my own wormery, total 3 boxes, bottom one with a tap. I was pleased with myself. Ordered my worms and they arrived today, yippee!! Checked the top box, after all the rain we have had it felt too wet so put new cardboard on bottom, old comost then newspaper straps on top of that. Does that sound OK?
After welcoming the lovely worms into the neighbourhood I put them in their new Home, checked on them once just to see how they were doing, thought I best check again before I retire for the night and yes.....escapees, felt very attached to them already 😀, have moved them to under the outside light hoping this will help contain them.
Any advise/tips really appreciated. I have been reading the posts, who knew there was a forum for wormeries, brilliant.
I'm really excited about this project and will keep you updated. 🪱❤🪱

WillyWorm

Re: Another newbie wormer

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:01 am

Hi Sal, every thing sounds great. Is your new bin based on three storage boxes? If you have been reading the forum you will have seen the advice on dealing with escapees.
We have just woken to the first hard frost of the winter so it’s important to protect your bin from the cold and rain, I use a cover of bubble wrap to deal with both issues.
Please keep us up dated

Willy

Sal

Post by Sal » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:49 pm

Hi Willyworm,
Yes three black storage boxes and I put a tap in bottom one.
On I section this morning there were only a few escapees which is good, I shredded some newspaper and wet it, wrung it out, for food,I think they like it😁
Had to lift the cardboard just to check they were still there after a day at work, they seem to have settled in lovely. Will perform worm watch tonight again. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:02 pm

Hi Sal, good to hear things are going well. Paper wet or dry is a carbon (brown) bedding however worms will use it as if there is nothing else.
Keep up the good work.
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”