First time harvesting

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Maxtheworm
First time harvesting

Post by Maxtheworm » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:18 am

Morning
I have had my worm city for 10 months now.
Everything going really well, I have 3 trays on the go and all my worms are looking good and healthy.
However the bottom tray has now completely turned into black gold!
I want to use it for planting some seeds.
There are still a few worms in the soil which I managed to pick out, but there are loads of eggs and a lot of baby threadworms.
How do I separate them from the castings/soil?
Seen loads of stuff on you tube but they all seem to be American with big set ups!
Just need a little bit of experienced help
Thankyou

WillyWorm

Re: First time harvesting

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 pm

The last few worms are always the hardest to get out of the castings. I think you mean pot worms not threadworms. Pot worm nor our composting worms will not do any damage to your seeds or seedlings. You must have seen by now how healthy seedlings grow in your bin even from unintentional sowing.
To get rid of pot worms sprinkle some powdered egg shell into your castings.
To remove the cocoons (eggs) can be a long laborious task. Firstly remove the castings you wish to use for your seeds from the bin. Then remove all adult and juvenile worms by hand then repeating the task every two weeks until you can no longer see any cocoons. I personally would leave the cocoons in my seed mix and think of my plant pot as a new mini worm bin. You can always remove the worms at a later date. There will be little if any breeding in such a small space so no need to worry about them taking over your home.

Good luck Willy

Lilwriggler

Re: First time harvesting

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 pm

Harvested my bottom trays from each wormery last weekend, and limited worms and eggs in each, but those trays tend to be a bit on the damper side and should have been harvested 2-3 months ago so not really any food for them to eat in there anyway. New top trays added with cardboard and shredded paper, so hopefully they will be happy for winter!

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”