Second tray...

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
chrisworms
Second tray...

Post by chrisworms » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:10 pm

Hi,

My worms seem happy and active but I'm still on my first tray (Started June '21), having bought a 4 tray wormcity system - I'm very conscious that I don't want to over feed them but I could be under feeding them?

Am I feeding them enough (roughly 200g of scrap food, using the corner method each week)?

I feel like I should be getting through the trays and I'm aware with winter on the horizon that they slow down!

Any thoughts welcome... thanks!

WillyWorm

Re: Second tray...

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:44 pm

What a great question. So many variables it’s hard to know where to start. Firstly as George Pilkington says in his book “Composting with Worms” “keeping worms is an art not a science”. What I think he means by that is that, you do what you did, looked at your herd and you can tell if they are fit and healthy. You will see on YouTube and many books equations like: 1,000 worms equal 500g and that worms will consume half or equal (or some other amount) of their own body weight of food per day. The problem is there are so many variables, the maturity of the bin, the worm population in relation to the size of the bin, the type of food, even the weather can affect the amount a worm eats (but you know that , from your comment about winter)
The four corner feeding is intended to be self regulating. If the corner contains no food when you get to it consider giving a little more, if there is food there give less or none at all. The most important thing is not to over feed.
Personally I find it difficult to judge how my worms are doing if I only feed once per week. This time of year I feed every other day in the summer I was feeding daily. At the moment I feed with less than a mug full of food each time, in the summer some of my bins were getting through a litre of food most days.
If your bin has been up and running for three months now may be a good time to add another tray. When working with a stacking bin set-up (which the WormCity bin is) it is not necessary for the old tray to be completely finished before adding the next tray, some worms will remain in the lower levels to tidy up any left behind food and bedding.

Sound like you have a good start with your worms well done.

Please keep us updated.
Willy

Lilwriggler

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:46 pm

I have always fed once a week, could probably feed a bit more, but my two bins appear to have been pretty stable for months.in one i have two trays i should harvest and the other one has one tray needing harvesting. My intention is to probably harvest those before starting a new tray in each, both with lots of paper bedding to insulate over winter. I tend to be using cardboard for bedding through the summer and adding more once it is looking damp and soggy. I just moved my bins in the garage to save them from the worst of the weather.

chrisworms

Post by chrisworms » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 am

Thank you both, I appreciate the feedback - great advice all round. :-)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”