Feeding worries!

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
JDcheese
Feeding worries!

Post by JDcheese » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:01 pm

Hello,

I've had my wormery just over a month and have been a bit unsure on how much food to put in and how small to chop up the pieces. I was using the four corner method but possibly being a bit timid on how much to add (a few dessert spoonfulls every few days). My mum has come to stay and has gone and put a layer of food across the whole top of the wormery, on top of the bedding but underneath the newspaper sheets I put on top. Have just discovered this, but also noticed that they now seem to have eaten most of their bedding underneath. A few questions:

- Should I remove all the food she added in case it goes rotten, or just leave them and not feed for a few days while they eat through that?
- Do I add more damp shredded paper for bedding on top of the food?
- How small do I need to chop my food waste?

Thank you,

Jessica

WillyWorm

Re: Feeding worries!

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:17 am

Hi Jessica, welcome to the world of worms. Worms are very tolerant and flexible around us humans.
Unless it is a very thin layer I would remove most of the food your mum gave to your worms leave maybe the equivalent of a mug full and not feed again until rest as been eaten.
Regarding cutting/chopping up food. This practice makes life easy for worms. I cop up root veg, like potatoes, carrots to the size of grated food this is because it takes an age to go if left in large chunks. Things like banana, apple I sometime just leave as they are or chop into inch bits.
You will regularly need to add more bedding material. We see it as bedding but to worms it’s just part of their diet. Adding bed gives you an opportunity to address the amount of moisture in you worm bin. If your bin seems wet add dry bedding if it seems dry add damp bedding. Once you get thing balanced you should rarely need to add damp bedding.
Feed the four corners should help you control the amount of food you give your worms. If when you go to the next stop you regularly find it empty then increase, by a small amount, the food you put in.

If I can help let me know
Willy

JDcheese

Re: Feeding worries!

Post by JDcheese » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:00 pm

That's brilliant thank you so much for your help :)

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”