Sprouting veg

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
JodiePebble
Sprouting veg

Post by JodiePebble » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 pm

So, my wormery has been going since about March. It looks pretty healthy, my only concern is that it seems to be growing little sprouts from, I'm guessing, the veg and fruit leftovers I've been putting in. They seem to be coming up around the edges of the box. I read somewhere that it means that the compost is really healthy and nutritious. Do I cut the sprouts off? I obviously don't want to be growing things in there. I really thought they would die off with the lack of light.

Very confused, lol, TIA

WillyWorm

Re: Sprouting veg

Post by WillyWorm » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi, your worm bin is a nice warm and damp environment for seeds and some veg waste to sprout. You are right about the darkness and this growth would soon die off if left for any time. I snip any growth off and leave in the worm bin where it adds verity to the worms diet. Sprouting seeds are particularly rich in goodness.
Some of the stouts on the veg waste may in fact be fungus (good fungus) these are part of the composting process and are to be welcomed.

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”