Temperature

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Wormeez
Temperature

Post by Wormeez » Wed May 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Hi,

I've got my wormery set up in the garage and its been set up about 2 weeks now. I have a thermometer in the garage to keep an eye on the air temperature and it's around 12 degrees at the moment. I know this is the bottom scale of the range the worms like. I wanted to check if anyone had set up some kind of heater for their wormery? I obviously dont want to get them too hot and cook them, I was thinking a reptile baskin light above the unit or a heat tube underneath the stand. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I have a rug wrapped around it at the moment to insulate, will this be enough?

On a separate note, how often do you guys check you're worms? I had a few wanderers in the beginning so was checking once a day but I dont want to disturb them too much.

WillyWorm

Re: Temperature

Post by WillyWorm » Thu May 27, 2021 8:40 am

Good morning. At this time of the year you should not need any extra heating regardless of where you locate your worms. If you can check the temperature inside your bin you will find it is five or six degrees warmer than the ambient air temperature.
You did not say is your garage was brick or wood construction. If it’s brick then you should need no more than a bit of insulation around your bin in winter if it’s wood then it will need monitoring and maybe extra heat provided if we have a prolonged cold spell during winter.
I had a new worm bin in a plastic garden storage unit last winter. This unit is located in a position where it’s not possible to get an electrical supply, my worms survived well with the help of a 4 pint milk bottle filled with hot water each night and insulation. I live in Scotland and had a number of night last year of minus 10 degrees. Where I have electricity, if needed, I use a low wattage 12in tube heater between two worm bins with bubble wrap over the top.

I tend to look in my worm bins most days but it’s not necessary I like to see how they are doing.

Willy

Wormeez

Post by Wormeez » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi Willy,

Thanks for your reply. Its eased my mind that they arent too cold. The last few days has warmed up due to the lovely weather and they have become quite active and really fast movers. Plus Ive found some mating and some eggs so know things are settled. They are now not trying to escape or sitting in the lid/sump so thats another good sign. I have just cleared a few dead ones from the sump though so will keep an eye on this.

Thanks again

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 am

Hi, there are always some worms intent on exploring the sump area, sadly many will die during their adventure. You can help them by placing a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard in the sump. This provides a platform for them to climb out on to and rest, it also provides also provides them with some food and helps them to return to the tray above. Worms can’t swim so need our help to escape the soup In the sump. Over time the cardboard will break down and can be used to feed your plant or returned to the top tray for another working over.

Over heating can be a problem for your worms try to avoid the inside of your worm bin getting over 30 degrees. You can keep the bin out of the sun, keep the bin well ventilated by opening doors and windows or use a fan or freeze their food before feeding, even placing a wet cloth over the top will help.

Have fun and enjoy your worms
Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”