Threadworms

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler
Threadworms

Post by Lilwriggler » Fri May 07, 2021 6:57 pm

Quick question about this. There are a variety of worms in our wormeries and i assume threadworms are part of that group. I’m sure I’ve seen them in my bins and whilst I have no issue with them in there, the risk of the eggs being picked up either on hands or inhaling through dust is a bit of a concern. I say this as my family have had an issue with this, which i think I brought into the house, and whilst there are other potential sources, my wormery screams out at me as a likely source (the wife doesn’t know, nor will she!)

My thoughts drift towards what i can do to minimise any future risk. Gloves is obvious and what i use most of the time, but i often mix things around in the top two trays which i perhaps should do less frequently. I was also thinking of getting some hessian to go on top to limit the need to disturb the cardboard that i use in conjunction with shredded paper as bedding material. It may have been a case of carelessness of not washing hands that has caused this issue after working in the wormery, but I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

WillyWorm

Re: Threadworms

Post by WillyWorm » Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am

Hi, thread worms are an intestinal worm and would not live in our worm bins. However the eggs of thread worms could find there way into our bins as easily as they find there way anywhere else in our home or environment.
The thread worm eggs can only live for two weeks or so out of a humans gut so if you have any fears about thread worm eggs being in your bin I suggest you give your worms a feed (their normal amount) put some corrugated cardboard on top and close it down for three weeks, don’t open it for any reason. After this period you can be sure there are no thread worms or their eggs in your bin.
Be assured your worm bin is no bigger threat of thread worms to your family than any other part of your home or garden.
Good hygiene is very important for everybody, at this time, not just people who keep worms. The use of disposable gloves can be a good idea but care needs to be taken when removing them.

Willy

wormcity

Re: Threadworms

Post by wormcity » Tue May 11, 2021 2:32 pm

I think they are probably pot worms (look very similar - thin and white)

Ronnie

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”