worms in sump

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
PeteF
worms in sump

Post by PeteF » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:31 pm

I have recently found a considerable amount of worms in the sump. The Ph is 6.5 to 7 and the bedding is just moist not wet and there is no liquid in the sump.
I do check this weekly and remove them back into the tray. every thing seems to be in order so I was wondering if anyone knows why this would happen.
I only get half a dozen or so in the lid but after a week at least fifty in the sump ??? Thanx

WillyWorm

Re: worms in sump

Post by WillyWorm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:09 am

No body is sure why worms go down to the sump. Maybe they like the darkness (they hate light) are looking moisture, fall in by accident and can’t get out, are doing the worm equivalent of exploring their world. Most of us have a mix of worms in our bins, the red wrigglers and tigger worms, red wrigglers like to be close to the surface while tiggers like to be a little deeper. In my own bin I notice it’s mainly the bigger tigger worms I get in the sump, those are some of the reasons.
Worms seem to end up in the sump of most bins and we should try to help them return to the main area. I always put a washing up sponge in the sump which was in contact with the bottom of the sump and the low side of the bottom tray, this was intended to assist the worms return, but worms still remain. Recently I have started putting strips about three inches wide, of corrugated cardboard in the sump, in multiple layers so it is in contact, or close to the bottom try. The idea being, there will be something to collect that cm of liquid that won’t come out via the sump tap, less chance of worms dropping in by accident, a route out if they do come in, a source of food and bedding if they don’t want to return and quality castings next time I go down their.

Willy
Worms don’t jump and can’t swim this seems to cove both problems.

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”