Lid of wormery

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Vinny
Lid of wormery

Post by Vinny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Hi Folks

Have just set up my new wormery, however the lid does not close or sit properly on the unit, is this normal?

should there be a gap as displayed in the picture attached?

Thanks
bin1.JPG
bin1.JPG (133.59KiB)Viewed 13137 times
bin2.JPG
bin2.JPG (162.08KiB)Viewed 13137 times

WillyWorm

Re: Lid of wormery

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 am

Hi Vinny, no this is not normal.
Occasionally when a tray is placed on top of another it can wedge at an angle, if that’s the problem lift it off and try again.
If not then you could try using one of your other trays if this fits neatly then it may be a faulty tray, you could also try the lid on the new tray.
There maybe some moulding waste which is stopping things fitting correctly if so it’s normally possible to scrap it off.
The final thing is to check the assembly, maybe take it apart and start again

Hope this helps in someway if not could you post a few photos of the top rim of the tray.

Willy

Vinny

Post by Vinny » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 am

Hi Willy

Thanks for the response, i did think that it was not right as the worms could just freely exit the building with a gap in the lid.

I have tired the lid on all the boxes and it does not fit on any off them, no matter what way it is orientated.

The lid has little tabs as you can see below which hinder it from sitting correctly on any of the boxes.

Should i get in touch with the wormcity team?
lid3.JPG
lid3.JPG (80.6KiB)Viewed 13128 times

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 am

Good morning Vinny, yea I think you should contact Ronnie at Wormcity. You can send her an email from the forum, or the web site.

Let us know how you get or
Willy

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:02 am

Vinny
PS be sure to send her your photos with the email

Willy

Vinny

Post by Vinny » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:54 am

No worries, have sent a mail though the main site, with a link to this page.

Cheers

Smallthings

Post by Smallthings » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:35 am

Hi both, found this interesting as my wormery lid doesn't fit snugly either but I had always assumed it was meant to be like that so that it lets in some air. It isn't raised all the way around, just rests on the tabs at the front as in your photo. It's not raised on the tabs all the way round as the underside of the lid at the back is tight against the top tray, so really the lid just has a *very* slight tilt from front to back, and just that little air gap. I hardly ever have any escapees, but if I find any on the floor I know that I need to do something (i.e. it's got too wet, or they need more food) so it's good to know that they are happy to stay inside voluntarily...!
Would therefore be interested to know about other people's wormery lids - I had just thought it was designed that way!

Vinny

Post by Vinny » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi smallthings,

Mine is the same one end will go in leaving the other end open, so has about a 10-15mm gap.
lid4.JPG
lid4.JPG (111.94KiB)Viewed 13116 times
lid5.JPG
lid5.JPG (103.79KiB)Viewed 13116 times

Smallthings

Post by Smallthings » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:24 pm

Hi Vinny
Yes -that's exactly how mine is - thanks for clarifying with the photo from this angle. It hasn't caused me any problems in over two years having that little gap; I'm comfortable knowing there's good air circulation and (now long-settled) the worms don't want to get out, apart from a few on odd occasions as mentioned earlier. But my wormery is kept in a shed so I don't have to worry about rain or pests getting in and that might be a different scenario for you. Good luck with yours, and perhaps let us know how things go and update on lid, etc.!

WillyWorm

Post by WillyWorm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi both, I have eight tabs/lugs on the bottom of my trays and lid, two on each side. These fit neatly inside the rim of the tray below. There are then a hole in each corner which is there so you can secure the parts together if it’s out in the wind or is being visited by undesirables, human or animal.
Are your tabs neat and square after casting?

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”