more general wormery in winter questions

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Mazzy
Re: more general wormery in winter questions

Post by Mazzy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi Willy, I would love to post some photos of my bin, but I am not sure how to do it. I will wait for my son to visit and he can do it, I am a bit of a Luddite where these things are concerned.

My bin is not a wormcity one it is a French made one, I hope it’s ok to post on here I do buy most of my requirements from Wormcity and I will buy my next one from them. I wish these companies would sell waterproof covers for their bins it would make life a lot easier. I feel like I want to start a new tray but I am a bit nervous to do this do you think it is to early my bin is about 4 weeks old. Just one more thing it may seem a silly question but where does the worm tea come from. Well thanks again for your reply hope your worms are well and happy, keep safe and come on England. :)

WillyWorm

Re: more general wormery in winter questions

Post by WillyWorm » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi, like you I’m not the best with IT.
I don’t think there is any rules about other makes of bins. If your photos is just of the cover over a bin, then I’m sure there will be no problem. My first stacking bin was not a Wormcity bin but my second was and I know a number of other like that.
The only compost bin (not a worm bin) to sell a jacket for their bin that I know of is a “GreenJohanna” and that is a thermal jacket not a rain jacket.
If it is your first time you have added a tray then I maybe a little soon, it would normally be about the eight week (in the summer) that you think about adding the next tray. Having said that worms don’t have calendars so you will need to read your herd.
The liquid “leachate” you get is not “tea” nor is it worm pee. 80 or 90% of the kitchen scraps you feed your worms are liquid. This liquid flows down through the bin to the sump. Rain and moisture getting into the bin add to the volume.
Come on England

Willy

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”