Rain escapees

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
Lilwriggler

Rain escapees

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:20 pm

It is very noticeable that the herd seem to panic a bit when there is significant summer rainfall and water in the sump. I checked today after yesterdays rain and there were more than 50 escapees under the bins next to the wormery. The spot is reasonably sheltered from the elements for summer, but i may pop it into the garage when significant rain is forecast. I think they are getting out of the sides of the wormery rather than the tap, im assuming they are not washed out. Have you experienced similar?

WillyWorm

Re: Rain escapees

Post by WillyWorm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 pm

You are right about worms panicking at times of heavy rain. The two most common reasons given are 1) that they fear their barrows may be flooded and this could drown them. 2) The other reason given is that at time of storms the atmospheric pressure changes and that worms will move down into the bedding/soil or go up into the lid/surface and this is an attempt to maintain the normal pressure.
My worm bins are in a small shed/storage box all year and don’t seem to be affected by the rain. So my thoughts are that the worms moving and sometimes leaving the bin maybe related to the change in moisture levels in the bin when it rains.

Willy

Lilwriggler

Re: Rain escapees

Post by Lilwriggler » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51 pm

That makes sense, they are up and down in the wormery over the course of the day and it is principally around dampness in the lid.