Original Organics / Wormery.co.uk warning

If you are having problems with an existing wormery, or just need some advice - then ask it here
stevebbb
Original Organics / Wormery.co.uk warning

Post by stevebbb » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:19 pm

I'm sorry for this post but I feel a duty to warn potential buyers about the following.

I have a wormcity that I have been successfully using for about 6 years. I use it mainly for composting but I also use the worms for fishing

Because I was taking so many worms I asked for another wormery for Christmas, expecting that they would buy me the same product (I did tell them the make I wanted)
However they bought me the 4 tray tiger wormery from wormery.co.uk

Disappointed is an understatement

The wormery I received contained 100 (yes you read that right) worms
4 x 16 Litre trays (64 litres total)
1.5 Kg Lime
Coir

So for a saving of £5 I received a wormery with not enough worms to get started, and definitely not enough to remove any for fishing
A wormery nearly 40 litres smaller (it is tiny)

If you are considering buying a wormery please take time to see exactly what it contains and how big it is.
It's going to take many many months for the worms to breed to reputable amounts and equally as long for any food to be consumed
Apart from anything else I feel sad for any newbie wormers. Such a lack of worms will result in failure.

I can't believe a company that professes to know so much about worm composting can't sell a product that is adequate

WillyWorm

Re: Original Organics / Wormery.co.uk warning

Post by WillyWorm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. Sadly a lot of companies only provide a hundred or so worms 🐛 with their bins. You require a minimum of 500 and preferably 1000+ to get a wormery started quickly. Could you tell the present buyer to buy you more worms with the fiver they saved?

Good luck and tight lines
Willy

wormcity

Re: Original Organics / Wormery.co.uk warning

Post by wormcity » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm not sure how I should respond to this seeing as they are competitors.

However I totally agree, sending 100 worms out with a womery is totally fool hardy.

Customers always throw food in a wormery despite the warning that it takes time to break down and that over feeding is a no-no.
I think people imagine worms to be like slugs / snails and that they nibble away on the food.

So not only is the risk of over feeding being there, but also the fact that it will take many months for the worms to reproduce in sufficient quantities to make an impact on the food.

As you correctly state, it's a road to failure which is a real shame because that person may never try again and may be negative about the whole process.

The wormeries look nearly the same, customers don't always read the blurb on websites about sizes and contents and often just choose the cheapest option (especially when it's as a gift) which will then go on to cost more.

I was aware of this as I get many emails.
There was a thread about this very topic before Christmas on a different forum

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/49983 ... -over#n=11

At least you can move some of your worms over - Good luck !

Return to “Worms & Wormeries”